Thursday, December 11, 2008

Multi-Language Road Sign & Mohd Ali Rustam

Mohd Ali Rustam, the current UMNO's VP and Melaka Chief Minister said in Ipoh on Wednesday that the road signs in the country need only Bahasa Malaysia, I'm OK with this only if the same standard enforce throughout the country.
Ali also lambasted the DAP government in Penang of putting up the multi-language road signs in the tourist attractions a trick for their political gain. I strongly disagree with this. Ali Rustam seems to be not aware that the Jawi has been widely used in other places road signs. Can I then say UMNO do this for their political gain also?

I still remember clearly quite some times ago, some states ignored "rakyat"s complaint and proceeded to put up road signs with Jawi, until such that some angry people sprayed paint to cover the Jawi as a way to show their dissatisfaction(though I don't agree with the way they demonstrated their dissatisfaction). Did the government ever care about rakyat's feeling? I wonder if Ali Rustam knows what happened around the nation.

The road sign thing is not a big issue. I feel that Ali Rustam is here to heat up the issue again for his own political gain. It is worrying to see people of Ali Rustam's quality to assume top post in UMNO. I would like to urge Ali to stay in Melaka for the sake of the country. You may not be ready to go up to national level.



If Ali wants to resolve the road sign issue, I think Ali should strive towards eliminating Jawi on the road sign before even comment on "road signs need only Bahasa Malaysia". He should also question the wisdom of the town council who think that Jawi is necessary on the road signs. Not to forget also, slap those who ask me to leave this country if I "tak suka". Bahasa is for all of us, Jawi is not.

No comments: